Cameron Russell gave an interesting TEDx talk. Here are some key takeaways:
- Image is Powerful. It is also superficial.
- There is little we can do to improve how we look. How we look, however, has a huge impact on our lives.
- Pretty white girl = sexy girl (in the modeling industry)
- Being a model is about a genetic lottery (tall, thin).
- Being a model is about legacy (being white).
- Socially constructed concepts of beauty – tall, slender figures, femininity, white skin.
She talks about how being beautiful/pretty has helped her in life, from avoiding speeding tickets to getting actual dresses for free when she forgot to bring her wallet. It is an interesting talk with interesting insights. You don’t have to agree with everything she says, but it at least makes you think. What are your thoughts?
Photo Credit: theqspeaks